i 30 Day Book Playlist Challenge, Day 15: Classical - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

30 Day Book Playlist Challenge, Day 15: Classical

Pride and Prejudice - Vivien Jones, Tony Tanner, Claire Lamont, Jane Austen Sense and Sensibility (Everyman's Library Classics, #51) - Jane Austen Persuasion - Jane Austen Emma Publisher: Penguin Classics Hardcover - Jane Austen Northanger Abbey (Everyman's Library, #109) - Claudia L. Johnson, Jane Austen

Day 15: Name book(s) that you've read or loved set in the 18th - 19th centuries. (Classical)

- - -

So I've read a lot a lot a lot of books in this period (if you're studying for a Masters in English, it's kind of required reading), and I've read a lot of 'classics' over the past ten years. But excepting the occasional re-reads of A Tale of Two Cities and Jane Eyre if I'm in the mood, Jane Austen's books remain the only classical works of literature I have EVER re-read for pleasure. I'm pretty sure they're the ONLY ones I've ever re-read more than twice.

And I don't even care that Jane Austen is probably most people's answer to this prompt. Because she deserves to be loved that much, and loved always forever and ever, because she was a genius. And she wrote genius social satires about flawed, lovely people just trying to connect with one another.

True story: if you ever want to see my face turn purple and then get lectured for an hour about it, just try and tell me that Austen is irrelevant or boring or 'girly' (I blew up on a male co-worker for this one once). Because you don't fucking know what you're talking about and I will OWN YOU.

I can understand not being into Jane Austen, but I can't understand people who dismiss her outright. Jane Austen is like the Moonlight Sonata. She never, ever gets old.

Source: http://rosepetals1984.booklikes.com/post/670300/a-30-day-book-playlist-challenge-