i Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation 2, Vol. 1 - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation 2, Vol. 1

Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who Assimilation 2, Volume 1 - Scott Tipton

Taken in the spirit it was intended -- which is to say, FUN -- this Doctor Who/Star Trek: The Next Generation crossover pretty much succeeds. Tipton particularly gets the characters and atmosphere right for the TNG half of the equation, while the Doctor, Amy and Rory feel a little bit more like facsimiles. I only say 'pretty much' because while it was certainly fun (the Borg/Cybermen collusion comes to mind, as does the scene where the Doctor and Picard meet for the first time), it was also kind of surreal. As fun as it is to try to mash these two worlds together, they don't really fit. So there's a lot of disbelief needing to be suspended. The artwork in this thing is also pretty subpar. The characters are photo-real representations of the actors who play them rather than actual drawn by hand versions. It feels lazy and fake. I'm not sure I'll be downloading volume two (unless it goes on sale like this one did).

Last thing, and this isn't the comic's fault, but I read it on the Kindle app on my phone, and there doesn't seem to be a zoom feature, which made it pretty frustrating to read. I could only just barely make out the words in the dialogue bubbles.