i Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)

Storm Front  - Jim Butcher

I keep wavering on whether or not to give this three stars or four, because I'm optimistic that the series will eventually get better. Fast paced and quick from beginning to the end, it was an enjoyable read, but it was a little too *neat* for my tastes. I'd like to see more character development, not just Harry getting beaten up and being all "Solitary Man" and junk. Harry as a character seems like the male version of the hero of your dreams, but I need more than a lonely guy kicking some ass with a magic staff to hold my attention. The first person narrator also gets on my nerves a lot, but that's just a personal choice. First person sometimes doesn't feel like storytelling to me, just somebody bragging, and it always feels a little too *written*. You have to be very talented to pull it off.

And honestly, the only reason I'm being so optimistic is because this series comes to me highly recommended from several sources, so I'd like to at least get through the next two books before I make my final decision.