i The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity

The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity  - Mike Carey, Peter Gross, Bill Willingham

Of course I'm going to love this. It's about the power of stories, and I'm such a huge sucker for that. I don't want to spoil anything plot-wise, but it reminds me of Lev Grossman's The Magicians, except way better, and in the family of comics, Fables would probably be its closest relative, like a second cousin or something.

I was actually pretty close to giving this five stars, and maybe in the future I'll come back and do so, but for now, four stars, because I want to wait and see how it all turns out. Right now I think it has fantastic potential. In these first five issues (collected under the title "Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity," itself a meta reference to JK Rowling's Harry Potter titles), Carey and Gross manage to create a sense of things happening just under the surface of your comprehension, but because it's completely serialized, the whole picture isn't available to me yet. (On top of all of that, the artwork is just beautiful: the panels, the colors, and particularly the covers.)

If you are a fan of stories for the sake of stories, or graphic novels as a genre at all, you should run out and get this.