i The Science of Kissing - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

The Science of Kissing

The Science of Kissing: What Our Lips Are Telling Us - Sheril Kirshenbaum

Honestly, I was kind of disappointed in this book. I was expecting detailed research and informed speculation. I was expecting some bite. Instead, what I got was a very short and shallow meditation into a whole bunch of stuff that should have been much more elaborated. I also found it disconcerting that there were no notes of any kind throughout the book . . . we just kind of have to take her word on it that she's done her research.

Now, I'm not saying that she didn't -- in fact, the extensive Bibliography in the back of the book would suggest otherwise -- but I think the format of the book, the lack of documentation, is indicative of the main problem I had with it, which is that this book feels more like a gimmick put on by a publisher for the general public, rather than an informed science writing delving into some really cool stuff, which is what I would have liked to see. This lack of detail leads Ms. Kirshenbaum to make sweeping generalizations that she rarely backs up (most likely because she simply did not have the space).

This is exactly the sort of thing that I'm always warning my students against. "Throughout history," "Throughout the years," "it is much more popular now," etc. These statements may be true, but without sufficient evidence to back them up, they just end up sounding kind of . . . juvenile.I kind of feel like an ass for writing this, so just to be clear, I didn't hate this book, and I have nothing against Ms. Kirshenbaum. In fact, much of the book was made up of interesting information that I didn't know. I just would have like to see MORE of that stuff, and in much more detail than Kirshenbaum's publishers obviously thought the public could handle.