i The Affinity Bridge (Newbury & Hobbes Investigations,#1) - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

The Affinity Bridge (Newbury & Hobbes Investigations,#1)

Affinity Bridge - George Mann

If you're a fan of mystery, science fiction, or steampunk literature with little to no characterization and a deep focus on plot and things like zombies, robots, and airships, then you will appreciate this book much more than I did.

That kind of sounds awful. I don't mean to say that this book is bad, but I do think it could have been much better. I had an extraordinarily hard time getting into it, mostly because I couldn't visualize anything that I was reading. It's not even that the plot isn't interesting. In fact, I could easily picture this being made into a movie, and I would enjoy that movie 1,000 times more than I enjoyed this book. It was almost like Mann was writing the movie that was in his head, but he forgot to put in the imagery that would translate it for the rest of us.The characters are actually somewhat interesting, but without that 'visual' reference, I felt kind of adrift and had to concentrate REALLY hard to figure out what was going on. Maybe that's just my issue, but I kind of think I'm right. And it's the first of the series, so there's a distinct possibility that the two main characters will become romantically involved (if 'distinct possibility' in this case means 'obvious future development'), so if that's your thing, too, then check this junk out.

Anyway, like I said: zombies, robots, airships. You get the idea.