i Fuzzy Nation - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

Fuzzy Nation

Fuzzy Nation - John Scalzi

Fuzzy Nation is a great book and you should all read it. Shit, am I not done yet? Fine.

Fuzzy Nation is a "reboot" of a Hugo winning novel from the 60s called Little Fuzzy, in the same way that the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica retooled the cheesy 80s series and J.J. Abrams rebooted the Star Trek universe in 2009 (Scalzi explicitly references these two stories in his introduction to the book.) I haven't read Little Fuzzy, but after reading Fuzzy Nation, I'll definitely be checking it out, and since I knew virtually nothing of the story before reading, it'll be interesting to see just exactly what Scalzi changed from the original story.

I feel bad for short-changing this review because I really loved this book, but I am so behind in my reviews at this point that it's actually stressing me out, so I've decided to just SUCK IT UP, YO.

Think eco-legal thriller with adorable fuzzy things and a leading man that is a mix of Jack McCoy and Sawyer from Lost (not coincidentally, in the movie in my head, he's also played by Josh Holloway). There's nothing particularly deep or surprising about this book (possibly because Little Fuzzy has influenced sci-fi writers since it was published forty years ago, in the same way there was nothing surprising about John Carter for moviegoers because the Barsoom series had been an inspiration for many of the filmmakers and authors in the 20th century), but it has great characters, great dialogue, and the story plows along like nobody's business. Not to mention, you guys, THE FUZZIES ARE SO CUTE I WANT ONE. (Spoiler: The fact that I want a Fuzzy might mean that I completely missed the point of the book, which is in large part about how people take what we want and don't think about the consequences . . . sidenote to the sidenote, I'm not a bad person, for realsies.)

Having finished this book, I'm slightly pissed off that I'm running out of new Scalzi books to read. (Redshirts this summer. WOOO!)