i A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume Two - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume Two

A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2 - Daniel Abraham, George R.R. Martin, Tommy Patterson

Man, when a story's good, it's just GOOD, you know?

This adaptation of Martin's original novel has its flaws, certainly, but man did I ever get sucked in to it. Daniel Abraham has done a damn fine job getting the essential bits into these issues without making you miss anything he's left out. The way he's structured it actually sucks you in more than the TV show or book due to its brevity -- it just zooms right along (although I do prefer both of those to this version). It is a little hard for me to distinguish how much I like Abraham's version of this story because I just plain love this story so much. Like, where does my love of the characters and narrative stop, and my appreciation for this version begin? Honestly, I have no idea, and I don't really care to spend much more time thinking about it.

I do still have some issues with the art, specifically the way the characters are drawn (the scenery and backgrounds are quite impressive). This is going to sound weird because I don't really know how to articulate it, but none of the characters have relatable faces. (I really don't think that's the right word but it's the best I've got.) It's like Patterson is so concerned with the details on his character's faces that he forgets to give them that thing that would make them all unique. They all look the same to me. A good example of this phenomenon would be the Buffy comics. Some of the older, lesser quality Buffy issues have the characters with faces that look a lot like Patterson's in this series, and yeah, they're anatomically correct and look like people, but their faces have no character. In contrast, Georges Jeanty's Season 8 renderings of all the characters, while not matching any of the actor's faces in any sort of photo-realistic way, always managed to capture their spirit.

Not sure when Vol. 3 is coming out, but I'm in whenever it does. I am a junkie for this story. (And I promise next time not to bitch about the art again . . . I'll just link back to this review and my review for Vol.1 instead.)