i The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer

My sister gave me this book as a gift two or three Christmases ago. I put it on my shelf and forgot about it until a couple of months ago when she guilted me about not having read it. And really, she had a valid point. I'm usually the one who recommends books, and she always reads them, so when she does bother to give me a book I've never read before, the least I could do is return the favor. Unfortunately, I had somehow lost my copy, possibly in one of my several moves, possibly due to other unknown factors. So I had to go out and buy a new copy, and that fucker was $15.

Publishing industry, if you're listening, $15 is too fucking much for a little 200 plus page book.

Guernsey is an epistolary novel that takes place post-WWII on the island of Guernsey, where an impromptu "literary society" popped up in response to the German occupation there. The main character is an author who is corresponding with the island's inhabitants for research purposes, but she soon finds herself directly wrapped up in their lives.

Anyway, I was a little lost at first, what with the epistolary style and the fact that it just kind of jumps right in. I was just like, "huh?" for about the first ten pages or so, and then BOOM I was kind of in love. That feeling didn't last all the way through the book, sadly, as the ending did feel a bit contrived and the main character felt a bit shoehorned in, but it was just such a happy little book I don't even care. If you don't like emotionally indulgent books, you probably won't like this, but if you like a little sap and cheese with your steak (I don't know, it's late), then you should probably pick this up. The parts where they recount their war experiences were fascinating, and the members of the literary society made me want to move there and join just so I could hang out with them, the weirdos.

All in all, good rec from my sister. God, it's only taken her twenty-six years to prove useful to me. JUST KIDDING. (That last part was a test to see if she's reading this. Go about your business.)