i Sir Philip Sidney: The Major Works - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

Sir Philip Sidney: The Major Works

Sir Philip Sidney: The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics) - Philip Sidney, Katherine Duncan-Jones

Sidney's 'Apology for Poetry': A bunch of awesome stuff said in the most boring and overly long prose imaginable. If you have the patience to sift through it for the main points, you'll be rewarded, but not many people have that sort of patience.

The last line is awesome, though. Basically, he's all - and I'm paraphrasing here - "For those of you who don't like fiction and poetry and think it worthless and harmful, I'm not going to pick a fight with you or anything, but I hope you fall in love a shit ton but never actually get any, because you need fucking poetry for that shit, but you won't have any because you're an idiot, and oh also, "may your memory die from the earth for want of epitaph."'

That last part was a direct quote because it's so awesome and bad-ass I didn't even need to change it.

('Astrophil and Stella' and 'The Arcadia' are also mildly interesting, and his sonnets are okay, but I only had to re-read 'The Apology' for my exams, so that's what got reviewed.)

[First read, October 2004]