i Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles - narfna
narfna

narfna

Food, books, TV, awesomeness.

The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction)
Tim Powers
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles - Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, José Marzán Jr.

Yorick, Agent 355, and Dr. Mann have to find a way to cross the US without Yorick's secret being discovered (you know, that he has a wang). Yorick, the foolish romantic that he is, wants to go to Australia to find his girlfriend Beth, but everyone else wants him to help save humanity and stuff. Dr. Mann is the world's foremost expert on cloning -- and even though she blames herself for the manpocalypse (it happened right as her clone-child was being born) -- she has agreed to try and find an answer. But following them closely is the cult The Daughters of the Amazon, which Yorick's sister Hero, in her grief and rage, has joined. The Amazons are led by a crazy bitch named Victoria who is honestly my least favorite part of this entire series. (What is with villains named Victoria being completely awful?)

Yorick and his entourage manage to board a train to California by bartering the motorcycle they stole from the Amazons, but they're forced out of the cargo car they're riding in when two hobo women decide to take it for their own. Yorick falls out of the train and is injured, and 355 and Dr. Mann go after him. Yorick is taken in by the women of Marrisville, OH, who have a secret of their own to protect.

For the most part, I think Cycles is a great second volume in the adventures of the world's last man. I like the way that Yorick, 355, and Dr. Mann seem to be bonding with one another, and I love the way that Vaughan treats the women of Marrisville. Vaughan loves to explore things conceptually, and more often than not he succeeds. Unfortunately, Victoria comes across as an insane baddie with no plausible motivation (thankfully her dupe, Hero, comes off as tragically conflicted, so it makes up for it a little). I think the Amazons were a great idea, I just don't think they were executed as well as they could have been.